Saturday, May 07, 2005

Adult Franchise...

Another election season has come and gone… the turn around time from declaration to the results was quick… or was it just me, too illusive to note. The campaign was much better than the last time (2001, the election that never was)… and yet again I ignored my franchise….

Barry says, “you’ll miss democracy only when you have a dictatorship… never abuse democracy .. it’s the only chance you have”.

I couldn’t agree more with him…. Democracy gives us one of the rarest chances to change our destiny. But does that mean that “I” have to vote….

Look at the stats … since I have come to my senses .. AB baby (BJP) has won every election in Lucknow. Come to delhi and politics take a whole new meaning inside the campus… results are decided not by votes, but by alignments. Come to UK … and results are decided for lack of choice … again … is it just me or the world is going nuts …

why should I vote… when I know 9 out of 10 seats in B’ham will go to Labour, knowing fully well that the electorate will return the tormentors of Iraq to the “house of commons”.. and ofcourse , who am I to stop them.

OK … so you think voting is important … give me one reason, why you think your vote can stop the type of politicians who dare to stand up every election to pledge their hypocrisies… or why you think your vote can make these politicians answerable to their electrorate … or why we should not rebel and just eradicate whosoever we think is responsible for the current state of affair ….

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I ignored my franchise"...
Chandra Darling, have you become a UK citizen?

--Vivek Pandey

May 08, 2005 5:01 AM  
Blogger Ash said...

Pandey ji, let me assure you of one thing .... I can never be a "British" "Citizen"...

However, Indian citizens can vote in all UK elections and referendums at the pretense of being commonwealth citizens.

May 08, 2005 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.

May 08, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Animesh said...

Pandeyji ne mere munh ki baat cheen li. I was also going to ask the same question.

Ashish gives me a nice idea, now British political parties can "outsource" winning by bribing large villages in India to vote for them :-).

What say folks? Should I book www.indians-to-win-your-british-election.com
:-)

Animesh

May 09, 2005 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home