Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Joker ....

” In the name of peace and neighbourly ties...” PM Singh has offered to allow Pakistani Nationals to appear in JEE and CAT exams, to seek admission in IITs and IIMs.

I’m not sure why should that disturb me... Leaving three war history and cricket aside, I don’t have anything against pakis. I like their food, and I like their chicks... but would I like it if they reserve a few seats for Pakistani nationals in IITs and IIMs. It will definetly make things a lot easy for the pakis ....

I didn’t realize that politicians have already started to cash in on the brand IIT and brand IIM. Not that I should be surprised … any smallest thing happening in IIT is front-page news in local dailies. It would make infinite sense to cash in on this publicity wagon and gain some points. I don’t doubt good intentions of our PM either... but ... I simply didn’t like the way he has played his Joker to unilaterally offer his hand of friendship. It would be interesting to know if IITs or IIMs (which are supposed to be autonomous bodies) were consulted before making such a decision.

The immediate problem which I see is that of resources. IITs and IIMs are already facing problems to sustain there huge sizes. Over the last few years the intake into these institutions has been increased by atleast 20-50%. The institutes are under constraints to provide similar quality of infrastructure and education, to future batches, which has built the brand for them. Add to that ...there is constant pressure on them from all sort of political and non-political organizations to increase their student intake even further to enhance per capita benefits of such institutions.

I have little idea about IIMs... but I know that IITs are desperate to find answers for their pertaining problems like ageing faculty and infrastructure, lack of world class research facilities, research output from the institutes, sad post graduate courses... and at the same time managing its notorious students (believe me that’s the biggest one)…. and then they want to make every engg. college an IIT... without even wondering once what it takes for IITs to be “the IITs”... If by changing name we could change virtues then can I please be Michael Schumacher !!

Not only it has made me concerned about IITs... my ratings for PM Singh have nose-dived like that of Saurav Ganguly. I am so not able to work it out how Mr. Singh’s offer can be of any benefit to India. Now that we have always faced problems in retaining the better IITians().... or to create an environment which provides quality jobs for so many trained engg... we will now divert our resources to train engineers for Pakistan. Now there may be a catch... the world does not really know the real quality of IIT engineers... but I don’t think lending a brand name to pakis is going to be of any benefit to us.

Even if it was diplomatically necessary... we could have offered student and faculty exchange programmes to benefit paki univs... or better, we can try to improve trade relationships, provide industry collaborations and support, and bring some business to engineers in India. But unfortunately... our economist PM is not a capitalist. Just to give an example... US offers thousands of scholarships to the cream of foreign students, attract them to US, employ them there, make them productive, repaying their investments million times over. I have no idea how “no returns required” policies can help India become a super power (sorry... different debate all together...)

I just hope it is one of those political suggestions which bureaucrats shove under the table.... for Satan’s sake... please let the Jokers play their own game...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home